Sunday, August 28, 2011

Learning to Samba by Johnny Miles




Literary Nymphs Author Interview






What would you like new fans to know about you?

Oh, man. I'm not sure. Ummm, hmmm. I guess one thing is that the only romance I've ever read was in junior high school. I read Rosemary Rogers', "Sweet, Savage Love." But I'd never read a m/m romance before. I've attempted to read other romance stories in the past, like Harlequin, but could never get into them for some reason.


In your fantasy world who or what would you be?

In my fantasy world I would be Captain Jack Harkness, from Torchwood. For those that don't know who he is, Captain Jack is a character created by British writer Russell T. Davies.

Jack is a bold, brash, brassy man with a cocky confidence who is part rogue, part devil, part walking and dripping testosterone. Not unlike Rhett Butler.

I also wouldn't mind the power to end war, persuade people to love each other, eliminate poverty and eradicate famine.

Alas, I'm just me. <Heavy sigh> So I'll keep fantasizing that instead of Captain Jack, or those other powers, I'll become a best-selling, genre-crossing author. I'll make so much money I'll be able to stop never again have to worry about where my next meal will come from, if the electric was paid for, and I'll be able to pay for health insurance. LOL! Yeah, what can I say? I'm one of those, living from check-to-check.

It would also be nice to take vacations where I can travel the globe and be inspired by the people I meet, to write stories that will show the rest of the world that, we're all pretty much the same and want very similar things. We're just scared children living on borrowed time and must, therefore, embrace every moment while there's still breath in our bodies.
 

What is your favorite genre to read?

As long as the story pulls me I don't know that I have a favorite genre. Mostly, I gravitate towards dark stories. Things of horror and angst. Uplifting stories that, in the end, show the courageous side of the heart and humanity. I also love a good thriller! But then I also enjoyed J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series as well as Armistead Maupin's "Tales of The City."
 

Do you have a favorite quote?

Oh, yes! Ever since I heard it, close to twenty years ago, "Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Rosalind Russell said it in "Auntie Mame" which also happens to be one of my favorite movies.
 

What can we look forward to in the future from you?

I think for the immediate future, there will certainly be a few more m/m romance stories. In the semi-distant future I hope to work on screenplay adaptations of my stories. It would be awesome to see them in the movies. Whether that comes to pass or not...I guess we'll see, right?

As for the far future, I'll let that fickle lover, Muse, tell me where he wants to go next. For where he beckons, that's where I follow. As long as I remain inspired and Muse continues to play with me I will be a very grateful and humble servant.

Where can we find your website?

My website is: www.johnny-miles.com.



Thanks so much for having me!

Johnny Miles



4 comments:

  1. Great interview. I really enjoyed learning a little about you, Johnny. As for Captain Jack, well, he's just fantastic, a wonderful role model for boys and girls and those yet to make up their mind. :-)

    Wishing you much success with your writing,

    Libby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johnny--

    I adore Auntie Mame. One of the best comedies ever made. Laugh and cry, it's a masterpiece. "Labor Day? That's sometime in November isn't it?" Great interview. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview. Always nice to learn more about you, Johnny. I love the idea of a screenplay.

    ReplyDelete