Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

Tell us a bit about The Gentlman and the Rogue


What's your favorite part of writing this book? Why?

Kate: My favorite part was 1. Working with Bonnie (this was our first book together) It’s a lot like that party game where one person writes a bit then hands it off to the next.

2. Watching the characters come alive, especially Jem. I think he was fairly clear to both of us from the start and it was fun making him more vivid.

Bonnie: Jem, absolutely. I was totally invested in this character, the humor and cockiness and warmth. I really enjoyed the cant Summer supplied for him and all the other details from her research. For example, I would never have thought to throw in an epergne (what the hell’s that?) It was a challenge to make sure the brooding figure of Alan wasn’t eclipsed by Jem.

What can we look forward in the future from you?

We have another book, The Nobleman and The Spy, in the editing process at Loose-Id. It’s the story of former enemies who once met on a field of battle. Now one of them is a spy sent to observe a German/English nobleman whose life may be in danger. A complicated political situation is the crux of the story—and of course, two men who despite their best efforts can’t keep their hands off each other.

If you could change one thing about your publishing career, what would it be? Why?

Kate: I think I would probably have all of my books under one name (I use Summer Devon and Kate Rothwell) and I would have spent less time trying to write the sort of book I thought New York wanted and more books that I enjoy.

Bonnie: They recommend “author branding” for a reason. People love to know what to expect if they pick up a book by so and so--romantic suspense, historical or what have you. Because I haven’t restrained myself from dabbling in a lot of different genres, I think it’s hobbled my sales, making it more difficult to find a particular niche of readers. But you know what? No. I wouldn’t change it. I had to write what I felt like writing, whatever stories interested me.

Where can we find your website?

Kate: I have a bunch. My blog is http://katerothwell.blogspot.com/ http://www.katerothwell.com/ and http://www.summerdevon.com/

Bonnie: http://bonniedee.com/, I no longer keep a blog. I’m on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment