Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Pirate Circus by Maureen O. Betita


 Literary Nymphs Interview



Title: The Pirate Circus, book three of the Kraken’s Caribbean series
Author: Maureen O. Betita
Publisher: Decadent Publishing
Genre: Romantic adventure
paranormal/piratepunk
Release Date: February 1, 2012




What inspired the story?

The Pirate Circus came about after I’d written myself into a tangle with the second book of the Kraken’s Caribbean, The Chameleon Goggles. I felt like I was dangling from the yardarm, upside down, while juggling rum bottles.

Naturally, all of those sensations resulted in creating a third book, featuring a villainous pirate circus…though the circus isn’t bad…just their admiral. I wanted a romantic adventure for the remaining lonely woman of the three I’d created in the first book… It was Janey’s turn! And she doesn’t like clowns, so the circus sails into port…

 

EXCERPT:

 “I’m sorry. I just….” He shook his head. “You’re a very attractive woman, Miss Janey. Here I am, alone with you in the dark of night. Do you have any idea how improper this would be in England?”

She snorted, amused yet pleased to hear him call her attractive. “Well, you’re not in England, and no one cares here.”

“Why do I care? Yet…I don’t want to care.”

God, maybe Tortuga was rubbing off on him at last. What a relief! “Then don’t. You left England behind, for good reason from what I understand. Don’t haul it back into your life.”

“I wish it were that simple.”

She slid from the chair and sat next to him, patted his arm. He was such a beautiful man, more than she could ever aspire to. But if she could help him, maybe they could be a bit more than friends. She hoped.

“Benjamin, it is that simple. They can’t touch you here. Whatever drove you here, it’s gone.” She wouldn’t mention the spirit Mama Lu had seen. Glancing over her shoulder, she hoped it wasn’t anywhere near. If it was Charlie’s mama, she should be hovering over her son.

He set his hand over hers. “You’re a good woman.”

“I’m a pirate. I sail with the Quill, and it’s a good life. Just because I’m land bound at the moment, doesn’t make me a good woman. I’m a good pirate.” The heat from his hand raced up her arm and lodged at her heart. Under the quilt, her legs drifted apart.

“No, you’re both.” He turned his face toward hers. The firelight danced on the gold in his eyes.

She stared, mesmerized. When he kissed her, it seemed an explosion struck them both, setting off a natural chain of events she had no objections to in the least.

Damn, his lips carried the flavor of the whisky, smooth and heady. When he slid his tongue into her mouth, their tongues met with heat and desire, striving to taste and savor the situation. He cupped her head with his strong fingers, but they didn’t last long there. She groaned and shifted closer, the blanket ending up in a bundle at her knees, and one of his hands dropped to slide up her thigh.



Where can we find your website?
 www.maureenobetita.com


No comments:

Post a Comment