Friday, November 18, 2011

Grown Men by Damon Suede



Damon Suede Literary Nymphs Author Interview
What would you like new fans to know about you?
I write the stories I love to read. Full stop. J My entire interest as a writer centers on my love of singular worldbuilding and rich characterization. I write entertaining stories that bear rereading because I’m drawn to complex characters and unexpected situations. I push myself hard, and each project represents a step forward,
I’m not interested in “throwaway” fiction or quickie retreads of overly familiar material. I don’t focus on any particular genre or style. I understand why those books satisfy, but I like meat on the figurative bone and I always want to be able to go back to a book I’ve enjoyed.
In your fantasy world who or what would you be?
Myself. Seriously. I’m living the life I’ve always wanted. I wouldn’t trade places with anyone and I feel way too fortunate to ever toss that aside. My mom raised us to take aim and live out loud and we do. J I suppose in the most primitive sense I’d love to live forever, free of infirmity, as myself… but I love my life and am grateful beyond reason for all the people and powers that let me live it.
What is your favorite genre to read?
I don’t have a particular favorite genre, although I do go through phases where I’ll read a specific genre because of my mood or interests at that moment. The one thing I’m always in the mood for is a strong voice from someone with a story to tell, but I don’t think good writing qualifies as a genre. J
Do you have a favorite quote?
 “We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”  (Aristotle)
What can we look forward to in the future from you?
Books that push the boundaries in ways that honor the form without getting formulaic. Better writing as I learn more about the flow and form of romance fiction. I want to see our genre expand and evolve and play a part in that. But that’s all very high-falutin’ and general.
In concrete terms, what y’all should expect is more projects and writing that gets better each time out of the gate. Up next is Spring Eternal, which is my steampunk novel. After that will be Hard Head, the sequel to Hot Head which focuses on Tommy’s story.  And I have another contemporary brewing now that will follow along soon.

Here's the blurb from Grown Men, my newest release from Riptide Publishing:
Every future has dirty roots.
Marooned in the galactic backwaters of the HardCell company, colonist Runt struggles to eke out an existence on a newly-terraformed tropical planetoid. Since his clone-wife died on entry, he’s been doing the work of two on his failing protein farm. Overworked and undersized, Runt’s dwindling hope of earning corporate citizenship has turned to fear of violent “retirement.”
When an overdue crate of provisions crashes on his beach, Runt searches frantically for a replacement wife among the tools and food. Instead he gets Ox, a mute hulk who seems more like a corporate assassin than a simple offworld farmer.
Shackwacky and near-starving, Runt has no choice but to work with his silent partner despite his mounting paranoia and the unsettling appeal of Ox’s genetically altered pheromones. Ox plays the part of the gentle giant well, but Runt’s still not convinced he hasn’t arrived with murder in mind.
Between brutal desire and the seeds of a relationship, Runt’s fears and Ox’s inhuman past collide on a fertile world where hope and love just might have room to grow.

This title is #1 of the HardCell series.

Grown Men can be purchased at: http://riptidepublishing.com/titles/grown-men

Where can we find your website?
You can find me online at:
§       DamonSuede.com
§       Goodreads
§       Facebook
§       FB Fanpage
§       Google+


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview.
    I'm looking forward to reading your new releases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled there is a sequel to Hot Head; I can't wait to read it. Grown Men sounds so great and original; I look forward in reading it.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm really looking forward to Grown Men :-) I really liked Seedy Business.

    smaccall AT comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview with a very thought-provoking quote from Aristotle. I'm sssssooooo excited for the Hot Head sequel since I ADORED that book. Tommy's a very worthwhile character.

    joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete