Sunday, September 18, 2011

Salad on the Side by Karenna Colcroft




Literary Nymphs Author Interview

What would you like new fans to know about you?
I've been writing since I was five years old, and started writing erotic romance in 2006 after a friend issued a challenge. My first erotic romance e-book, which is now unavailable, was published in March 2009. Until 2010, I only wrote hetero romance; although I was interested in M/M romance, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to write it well. I sucked up my courage and wrote my first M/M novel, Salad on the Side, with encouragement from several friends on Z.A. Maxfield's Yahoo loop; that book was released by MLR Press in June 2011, and the sequel is coming soon. My hetero romances have been published by publishers including Pink Petal Books, Ellora's Cave, and Passion in Print Press. I also write young adult fiction under a different name, and have had several novels published in that genre.

In your fantasy world who or what would you be?
I would be myself, only with more money coming in from my books and a couple of movie or TV series deals based on my books, And a bigger house.

What is your favorite genre to read?
I read some of everything, but I'd say paranormal/urban fantasy is my favorite. I like the "real world" where unreal things happen, or where werewolves, vampires, etc. co-exist with humans, knowingly or not.

Do you have a favorite quote?
My favorite quote is something a friend of mine said to me several years ago. At the time our friendship was pretty new and had mostly only happened online. He persuaded me to drive a couple hours to a party that he and a group of other people from the online chat group where we'd met were attending. As I was leaving to head home, he said to me, "You're a beautiful woman. Don't let anyone f**k with you." Up to that point, I'd had a pretty rough time of things; I was about six months out of an abusive marriage, struggling to raise my daughters, and trying to figure out how to be alone. I had pretty much no confidence and didn't trust much of anyone. Those words from my friend made a huge impact on me.

What can we look forward to in the future from you?
Oh, where to start? Currently I have a novella titled What We Did Last Night under contract with Ellora's Cave; it's about a one-night stand that turns into more. As mentioned, the sequel to Salad on the Side, a novel titled Veggie Burgers to Go, is under contract with MLR Press. Those two books are now the first two in a series called Real Werewolves Don't Eat Meat; I currently have three more books planned, though the characters may change things. I'm also working on a hetero shifter novel, Beta Test, which is set in the same universe as Real Werewolves and includes some of the same characters. That hasn't been submitted yet. I have a few other romance projects in the planning stages.

On the young adult side, I have four novels under contract now, with another, about Tobias Rogan from Real Werewolves (long before he was an alpha), almost ready to submit. (I deliberately haven't given my young adult author name here, but if anyone's curious please feel free to contact me and I'll share.)

Where can we find your website? My site is http://www.karennacolcroft.com, and you'll find links there to my Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube, along with buy links and information about all my released and upcoming books.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview! I'll be around off and on over the next few days to answer questions and say random things. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I like the idea of hetero and M/M books in the same universe. Maybe someday it will be more common for the two to meet. (Suzanne Brockmann being a case in point - I wonder how many people she has convinced that sampling and liking M/M is okay by having her het and m/m story lines intersect.)

    Do you have a projected release date for Veggie Burgers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaje, no release date yet. It's at the proofing stage, I think; I know line edits are done. So it should be sort of soon, but I don't know how soon.

    I'd actually had the hetero shifter idea before I came up with Salad on the Side, and had written a 1000-word scene for it. Then I put it aside to write Salad. Then I realized that one of the minor walk-on characters in Salad would make a good hero in the hetero scene I had, and I asked the publisher's permission to write it (since contractually I had to have permission; MLR only does M/M, so I'll be submitting the hetero story to their sister imprint Passion in Print.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished this one and can't wait for the next. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete